| Share facebook twitter | RSS


ambassador Report View

Thematic Report: Youth and Environment

by Zefania Mkingi | 20-09-2019 08:06 recommendations 1

Environmental issues are very important to every age but is very important to the youth, as they contribute much either to make our environment clean and safe or to pollute and destruct them.  As it have been very crucial for the youth to participate in environmental issues and climate change circumstances, I decided to do a survey on youths and their role in environment in Tanzania for the almost two weeks on the awareness of the youths about the Environment. I did the survey to 33 youths from different regions of Tanzania.

Table 01 shows the 15 regions where I did my surveys, I did some questionnaire as well as interviews and observations, there was about 33 youths who participated to answer my questionnaires, responded to my interview and who I had frequently observed their behavior toward the environment. Figure 01 below shows the number of males and females who participated in my survey (research), where by 18 respondents which is almost 54.5% were males, while the rest 15 respondents which is almost 45.5% were females.

The table 02 below shows the age of respondents I have surveyed, where I classified the age into five categories such as 11-14, 15-18, 19-20, 21-24, above 24, in which none of my respondents had the age from the first group, in the second group there was two respondents, in the third group there was eight respondents, in the fourth group there was 21, and in the last group there was 2 respondents.

In the survey 21 respondents (63.6) admitted that they received the environmental education through different ways such as school, university, clubs, and social media. While the rest 12 respondents (36.4%) admitted they never had the environmental education and they were ready to receive it. Consider table 03 (a), (b) and (c)

This shows that most of Tanzanian youths are aware of the environment issues, in which 77.3% had the knowledge of environment from schools, this means that the education system of Tanzania supports and is relevance to the environment issues. Furthermore about 34.6% of youths did not have the environmental education, some responded that they didn’t attend to school that’s why they have no such knowledge, this also seems to be the problem, therefore environmentalists and the government through different organization have to put more efforts to educate people in the society especially those uneducated ones.

Figure 2 below shows the involvement of youths in environmental activities in term of time, both who have the knowledge of environment and those who didn’t have. 

According to my statistics survey in figure 2, shows that almost 21.2 % of youths are doing the environmental activities everyday as the day of questioning they declare that they do every day, but 100% of those who do the environmental activities everyday (today) and (this week) are those who have the environmental education this means the provision of education to the society especially to youths is very important as it influence youths to involve themselves in environmental activities. While 100% of those who participate once in six months and who never did are those who didn’t have the environmental education, while possessing high percentages in I don’t remember.

Table 4 below show the percentage of youths who admitted that they are among of environment polluters, and if they are ready to change.
This show that almost 69.7% of youths in Tanzania admit the fact that they are among of environmental polluters furthermore that percent were ready to change their behavior toward environment, while 27.3% didn’t admit to be polluters but were ready to change their behavior toward environment. The rest 3% said they are perfect in environmental issues. This shows that there is good chance to change youths’ mindset so as they could keep our environment clean and conserve them.

During my survey I asked youths which activities they think endanger the prosperity of our environment, most of answers where industrial activities, mining activities, illegal fishing activities, poaching, lumbering, deforestation, human settlement construction, overgrazing and littering, these where answers from both environmental educated youths and uneducated ones, this means regardless of not given the environmental education still most of youths understood well the activities that endanger our environment, so it will be easy to change their mindset so as to keep our environment safe. 

There after I provided environmental education to those youths (33 youths as sample) and to other 11 youths who came to listen the education I provided. Almost 97.0% said the education I provided to them were useful and they wish to change their behavior toward environment, while the rest 3% said they had it already so that education were not useful to them, but were ready to change. Consider figure 3 below. 

Youth and environment are two things which cannot be separated, so my main aim of doing my survey was to make sure that youths got the environment education. According to my survey about 36.4% of youths had no the environmental education, this means many youths were distracting environment without knowing that they do the very big mistake which will cost the whole world. So after giving them the education youths declares to stop the behavior toward the environment. 
Figure 3: youths declaration about the useful of the environmental education i provided to themFigure 1: gender of respondents.  Figure 2: last time for youths to participate in the environmental activities Table 4: responses of the youths to admit if they are polluters or notTable 3 (a) : responses to the question if they had an environmental education,  Table 3 (b)  areas where youths acquired an environmental education. Table 3 (c)  youths who were ready to receive an environmental education Table 2. Age of my respondents Table 1. Regions where i did my survey

no image

  • Dormant user Zefania Mkingi


Asmita Gaire

  • Asmita Gaire says :
    Greetings zefania
    I hope you are doing well
    Thank you so much for this report
    Good to read your first report. Welcome!
    It's awesome... Youths and environment are closely interrelated.
    I hope to read more reports from you
    Green cheers
    Asmita Gaire
    Posted 29-01-2020 11:58

Kushal Naharki

  • Kushal Naharki says :
    Hello Zefania

    I do hope that you are fine and doing great with your works.
    Thank you for your report about Youth and Environment

    Green Cheers from Nepal :)
    Keep writing great reports.
    We are eager to read more reports from you.

    Kushal Naharki

    Posted 04-10-2019 19:05

  • Hyeongmin Mentor says :
    Hi Zefania!
    You conducted a very good research!
    A youth is the purest presence in the human society and therefore the way they are educated in an early age determines the rest of his/her life.
    It??s a disastrous thing that people are destroying the planet without even knowing.
    Survey you conducted provide very good overview of the reality and it tells us the direction we should take to preserve the environment.
    Thank you for the great report!

    Posted 22-09-2019 13:18

  • Eco Generation says :
    Greetings Zefania,

    Wow - this is a really scientific report.
    It's great that you were able to survey group of students in Tanzania.
    And it's more great that they found that the education which you've provided to them were useftul. Please keep up this fantastic work!

    Posted 20-09-2019 16:41

Meena Pandey

  • Meena Pandey says :
    Great report!!!
    Keep writing and shining.
    Yours effort seems to be quiet worthy.
    Keep writing and shining.
    Warm regards,
    Meena Pandey
    Posted 20-09-2019 13:52


  • ALOK DHAKAL says :
    It was nice report to read!
    Posted 20-09-2019 11:48

  • Zefania Mkingi says :
    Hi ambassadors and Eco generation members, welcome to read my thematic report about 'youth and environment'.
    Posted 20-09-2019 08:08

Post a comment

Please sign in


RELX Environmental Challenge
Date: 10/06/2022 to 17/07/2022
Type: Online

2022 Climatescience Olympiad
Date: 26/062022 to 08/08/2022
Type: Online

  • attendance banner