| Share facebook twitter | RSS

0
Comments

World Report View

How To Reduce Your Carbon Footprint in 2022

by Paisley Hansen | 21-01-2022 06:58 recommendations 0

Even if you're not aware of it, there are plenty of activities you take part in that contribute to the emission of carbon dioxide, such as driving, buying a new shirt or even grilling a steak. If your New Year's resolution is to be kinder to the environment, here are six ways that you can reduce your carbon footprint.

1. Eat Fewer Animal Products

Meat and dairy products require a large amount of water, land and energy to produce. This process releases methane, a greenhouse gas that traps heat in the atmosphere and contributes to climate change. Therefore, opting for a plant-based diet or simply eating fewer animal products can have a positive impact on your carbon footprint.

In addition to helping the environment, eating organic and local foods can improve your health and help you support local farmers. If you want to ensure that you're getting enough nutrients in your diet, looking up Le-Vel Thrive Reviews can help you determine if supplements are best for your needs.

2. Seal Your Home

If your utility bills tend to be higher in the winter, it's most likely due to your heat working harder to offset cold air entering your home through various gaps. Insulation is an affordable and effective method to prevent air from entering your home, and it can decrease your carbon footprint by preventing you from using too much heat. Insulation can be constructed from:

  • concrete block

  • foam board

  • loose-fill

  • blanket

  • reflective

  • rigid fiber

3. Buy Secondhand Clothing

Did you know that one pair of jeans can take up to 1,800 gallons of water to manufacture? Although purchasing a new clothing item can be a nice treat, buying secondhand clothing from a vintage store or thrift shop can help you reduce your carbon footprint.

In addition to helping the environment, shopping secondhand can help you save money and experiment with your personal style. You can also shop for secondhand items in other categories, such as books, shoes or furniture.

4. Change Your Laundry Habits

If you're like most Americans, you probably wash your clothing in warm or hot water. However, switching to cold water for just two loads a week can save up to 500 pounds of carbon dioxide each year. You should also do your laundry in full loads, which will decrease the amount of energy and water used. Lastly, if you want to cut down on drying time, toss in some dryer balls with your clothing. These allow warm air to circulate more efficiently and therefore dry your clothing faster.

5. Switch Out Your Light Bulbs

Incandescent light bulbs may be the most commonly used in the United States, but they're not the most environmentally friendly or efficient. This is because they only convert about 10% of energy into light, while the remaining 90% is lost as heat. This causes your air conditioning to work harder to keep your home cool, which increases your carbon footprint and energy bills.

Instead of incandescent bulbs, opt for LEDs. These bulbs use up to 80% less energy and can last for up to 50,000 hours, as opposed to incandescents' short life of 1,000 hours. Additionally, LEDs don't emit a lot of heat, so you won't have to worry about wasting energy to keep your home warm.

6. Unplug Appliances When You're Not Using Them

Even when you've turned an appliance off, it still uses a small amount of energy. This is called a phantom load, which is electricity that your devices use even when they're powered off. Unplugging appliances that you aren't using can reduce your carbon footprint and help you save money on electrical bills. You can also install a smart power strip, which shuts down power to devices that are in standby mode.

Reducing your carbon footprint is an achievable goal if you start with small changes to your daily routine. Following these six tips can help you live a more sustainable life.


PaisleyHansen

  • United States Of America Chaperone Paisley Hansen

0 Comments

Post a comment

Please sign in

Opportunities

2022 Climatescience Olympiad
Date: 26/062022 to 08/08/2022
Type: Online

Youth in Climate Action for Only One Earth
Date: 8/06/2022 to 8/06/2022
Type: Online

  • attendance banner

Resources